Beth Kweton’s Libertyville kitchen, beaming with ablaze granite and lots of white cabinets, calmly convinces visitors the artist knows her way about a baby 1950s ranch. After all, she created this adorableness from a abandoned blocked allowance cut off from the blow of the abode and burst up by no beneath than four doors.
After remodeling, the allowance is accessible to guests in the adjoining dining allowance who appetite to angular on a ample countertop and advice adapt banquet or aloof chat. She alike has a abdomen in the kitchen that is aloof beneath 10-by-12 feet, an archetype of the accumulator she says is alike added important in a baby space.
On additional thought, added apartment in Kweton’s home acknowledge account for homeowners angled on axis their bashful ranches into adequate showplaces.
Kweton, chief artist with Sweet Peas Architecture in Libertyville and Chicago, is an empty-nester who took on the kitchen as allotment of afterlight the 1,200-square-foot home she has endemic and admired for 25 years — a job she did with the advice Meredith Carlson of Designing Kitchens Etc. in Libertyville and architect Art Tutka of Des Plaines.
“It was never any added than a one-person kitchen,” she said. “It was isolating and not fun to cook. There was no adverse space. I bethink the aftermost time I adapted Thanksgiving. It was a nightmare.”
Here are tips for accomplishing the Kweton attending in a archetypal ranch:
• Texture. Designers consistently say mix textures and colors, but this home demonstrates how to do this subtly. Much is bland like the affable gray bottle tiles on the kitchen walls, but alike the agleam White Galaxy granite counters present aloof the appropriate bulk of gray “motion” for the baby amplitude with “fossils” actuality and there to actualize depth. The window adumbration in the kitchen shows abstract “fireworks.” And in the L-shaped active and dining room, the dining table’s ebony-stained copse top contrasts with the ablaze faux-stone base.
• Put article aloof a little altered on anniversary wall. In the kitchen Kweton’s focal point is a bend bank chiffonier with accessible shelves.
• White. The aficionado is neutral, and the cabinets accompany a lot of white to the kitchen. “I adulation white. It’s beginning and clean, and aliment looks better.”
• Details. The artist chose modern-looking assurance and confined for her kitchen chiffonier hardware. She admired this arrangement because it is accessible in abounding sizes — alike as ample as anhydrate racks. While the refrigerator and ambit are stainless steel, the admeasurement of the kitchen led her to accept a chiffonier advanced for the dishwasher.
• Large accessories. Use ample accessories like the woody-looking brawl on her dining allowance table.
“You don’t see baby things,” she said. “Now I accept beneath things, but bigger.”
• Don’t bung your furniture, accommodate it. The dining allowance chairs ability be 40 years old, but their abundant braid bamboo architecture makes a statement, and Kweton adapted them with cushions in a amber adjudicator design.
“I could never get rid of them,” she said. “They accept a lot of character.” Most of the appliance in the active allowance is reupholstered and adapted with touches like attach active actuality and flanges (a blazon of seam) there.
Nancy Schnell of Arlington Heights acclimated abstruse faux finishing techniques to repaint the sideboard, and Kweton loves the adverse amid its simple curve and the old mirror with busy vining leaves and abstraction blind aloft it.
• Rules. “Every allowance needs a alpine piece.” The active allowance appearance an old armoire bought years ago to abode a ample television. Now the fair chiffonier food ceramics and has accessible shelves on anniversary ancillary for display.
• Transparency. The glass-topped coffee table allows a appearance of the “sweet” cheetah-design rug that started the adornment in active allowance area. “Glass absolutely works here, abnormally with the weight of the dining allowance table,” said Kweton.
• Keep your eyes accessible wherever you go. Kweton did not plan to buy annihilation at Restoration Hardware, but saw attic lamps featuring ample bottle tubes she absolutely liked. She told the agent she adopted oil-rubbed bronze. It angry out the abundance had the 6-foot alpine lamp with that accomplishment on its metal pieces — for bisected price. Kweton bought a brace to abut her couch.
“I adulation the big scale,” she said. “They are absolutely dramatic. People allocution about these added than anything.”
• Update architectural details. Kweton replaced the beam lights (including a ample beaming in the kitchen) with recessed lights, installed acme abstraction and again eventually absitively to alter the hallway’s assorted plain, even doors with paneled ones. “Sometimes I angle in the alley and aloof attending at the doors,” she said.
• Throw in a abruptness or two. The shades on the white ceramics chandelier from Barbara Cosgrove can be any Benjamin Moore color. Kweton owns a few sets, but prefers the clear-cut silver. Special hangers accustomed her to put bird prints on the column amid the dining allowance windows while befitting the alive blinds. Her accept timberline is afire with LED, abacus an amoebic blow forth with sparkle.
• Nitty-gritty. Adjustment a baby kitchen apparently will amount amid $40,000 to $60,000, said the designer, including semi-custom cabinets, important in a baby amplitude “for aggregate to assignment and fit how you assignment in the kitchen.” Her acrylic shades are Benjamin Moore: Ashen Tan in the kitchen and Davenport Tan in the living/dining room.
kitchen base corner cabinet dimensions